Give swimming a chance! To try it is to adopt it.
It's true, swimming and lifeguard training can seem like a pain. You have to find a niche during the day, a swimming pool, and be prepared for having wet hair. But the payoffs can be far greater than you might think. Below are a few reasons to give it a try:
Water has soothing properties.
It has long been a symbol of renewal and clarity, as some studies show, which indicates that contact with this element has a remarkable effect on the brain.
Spending time near a waterhole can offer similar benefits to a meditation session, as it frees the brain from constant daily stimuli. The icing on the cake: with a swim, we take advantage of these cognitive benefits while exercising. It is also possible to try flotation therapy.
Swimming is less tiring on the body.
Unlike running or plyometrics, swimming gives you the ability to do cardio without straining bones, joints, or muscles. A definite advantage for swimmers, whatever their age and morphology, especially seniors and people suffering from osteoarthritis. It's one of the best ways to stay active while taking care of your whole body.
Swimming can bring you closer to nature.
If you're lucky enough to live near the ocean or a lake, swimming in a natural body of water can be even more beneficial for your health. Studies show that spending time in nature can improve mental and physical well-being by keeping you from being overweight, reducing stress, and improving morale.
Plus, becoming a better swimmer can open doors to other water activities like snorkeling or surfing. To enjoy all the wonders of life in the water, you have to start by setting foot there!
Swimming builds muscle while improving cardio.
Although it is a relatively gentle sport, swimming gives very good results. It is often compared to aerobics, the benefits of water resistance in addition. Women's Health recalls that its practice strengthens the body.
Working on muscle building, especially from a certain age, is essential for having a healthy body and a long life. Resistance work also improves balance, sleep, and bone health. A real all-around training!
Swimming can preserve the lungs.
Some studies link swimming to improved lung capacity.
With healthy lungs, the body can handle oxygen more efficiently, which means you don't feel short of breath as easily. Stronger lungs protect against disease better. A 2007 study linked weak lung capacity to cardiovascular disease.
In summary, swimming is ideal for a healthy body and mind. Take the plunge, the water is good!
You know that swimming and running have many strengths. But concretely, what are they? Here is a summary of the strengths of each, running VS swimming as the match begins!
A natural gesture, mastered for thousands of years by man, running continues to attract new followers. In view of all its benefits, it would indeed be wrong to deprive yourself of it! More affordable we can not, all you need is a good pair of sneakers and that a suitable bra for women, to engage in the stride. But what about the body? Does running have the power to lose weight?
- Running is one of the sports that burn the most calories. This represents an average of 500 calories consumed per hour for a pace of 10 km / h. Endurance sport will draw your energy from your fat reserves, in particular, abdominal fat (many of us give it with pleasure). In addition, running stimulates your metabolism, so you spend energy during the effort, but also afterward and this for several hours!
- Running improves heart health by strengthening the heart. When you run you increase your heart rate which helps oxygenate the body. Well-oxygenated muscles make it possible to gain energy and therefore, in a virtuous circle, to perform better. Also, a muscular heart is less stressed in the rest phase which has the consequence of reducing the heart rate. For these reasons, running protects against cardiovascular diseases.
- Insomniac? Running can help. Running regularly is very beneficial for people with sleep disorders because it makes it easier to fall asleep and helps them sleep longer. However, avoid running shortly before bedtime or you may experience the opposite effect. You have been warned!
- We all want to be happy, don't we? Well, it's proven that running contributes to it! The action of running stimulates the release of feel-good hormones, more commonly known as endorphins. In case of depression, you know what to do! It is also a sport recognized as a good ally for reducing stress since it decreases the hormones which are at the origin of it: cortisol and adrenaline.
Running to improve cardio
Swimming is not much more expensive than running. Swimsuit, cap, and subscription to the municipal swimming pool, you prêt.e here to make your entry into the deep end. In terms of qualities, she does not have to be ashamed of the advantages of running. Swimming also has many strings to its bow! So, is it more interesting to turn to swim to lose weight?
- Swimming is a sport carried, in the water you only feel a third of your terrestrial weight. While swimming you are not impacting your body. So you preserve your joints. On the contrary, it can even relieve certain ailments such as lower back pain.
- Like running, swimming is part of endurance sports. As a result, it also contributes to reducing cardiovascular risks.
- Complete sport working the whole body while swimming you exert yourself enormously. Count 400 calories burned in one hour at moderate speed. Enough to motivate yourself to take the plunge!
- Cardio but not only! Arms, legs, shoulders, back, abs, you work your whole body. Swimming forces the muscle to work in an aquatic environment much denser than air, forcing it to make an extra effort. As a result, you increase your strength and muscle tone. Ideal for drawing a harmonious silhouette.
- You gain flexibility and amplitude by putting tendons and ligaments to work.
- The massaging effect of water combined with the contraction then the relaxation of the muscle improves venous return. This has the effect of reducing saddlebags, cellulite, and the feeling of heavy legs.
Swimming to lose weight?
SO WHAT DO WE CHOOSE?
To choose is to give up, but it would be regrettable to deprive oneself of the benefits of one of these sports. Complementary in many ways, they form a winning duo! Whether you have a weight loss goal or not, it is best to combine the two and find your balance. We explain why.
- Diversify your training to overcome monotony. A sport practiced several times a week, in which the sessions follow one another and are alike, can sometimes become boring. As a result, your motivation decreases and when the urge is no longer there, performance suffers. Adding a complementary sport to the one you practice will have the advantage of bringing renewal to your routine. And with that, new challenges!
- Focusing on swimming/running training also means working the body as a whole. Although these two sports are known to be complete, each one works on specific areas of the body. Swimming mainly focuses on the upper body: arms, shoulders, abs, back. It strengthens the back as well as the sheathing. Of course, let us specify that it depends on the type of swimming you practice. Running, she focuses more on the lower body. Legs and buttocks are the most used since they allow propulsion. Mixing them is the key to being in good health and having a harmonious figure.
- Complementary, these sports are also complementary when it comes to progress and improve performance. The duo allows better recovery as well as real muscle building. Also, you mix the types of breathing which over the course of the sessions makes you gain endurance while reducing shortness of breath.
- Sport is an essential ingredient for good health. It is obviously a great ally in the event of weight loss. Nevertheless, it is essential to combine your sporting activity with a healthy diet, real fuel! Whether you want to lose weight or simply maintain your weight, no sport can replace a varied and balanced diet.
TRAINING PLAN FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Whether you are more of a swimmer or more of a runner, here are three different programs combining the two sports. Followed regularly and combined with a balanced diet, they will allow you to refine yourself while taking care of your health. Ready?